With the New Year right around the corner, you might have already started making resolutions for 2015. As a freelancer, you possess unique skills that have helped you get this far. Whether you freelance full-time or on the side, there is always room for improvement. Consider the following five New Year’s resolutions as we welcome 2015 and all the opportunities it may bring.
1. Explore new places to work. Changing your scenery will enhance your creativity and help you see challenges from a different perspective. Try that coffee shop around the block, or see how you like working on that park bench next to the fountain. Who knows, you might even meet potential clients and make new friends.
2. Nurture your personal passion. With bills to pay and administrative tasks to do, it’s easy to lose track of the reason you started freelancing in the first place. Remember why you started freelancing in the first place, and nurture that reason. Don’t let the everyday grind keep you from enjoying what you do. Set aside specific time to simply do what you love. The bills and the paperwork can wait!
3. Break out of your comfort zone. You’ll never know if you can do something unless you try. Don’t be afraid of failure or changing your goals along the way as you grow. Take on a different kind of project or teach yourself a new skill. What you learn will help you be a better (and more marketable) freelancer.
4. Focus on building a reputation. Take on fewer jobs but do them really well, rather than taking on several and doing a sloppy rush job. It’s more important to build a good long-term reputation than to get a lot done in the short-term, only to see your opportunities dry up when employers are dissatisfied.
5. Take a break from social media distractions. Give Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites a rest. Create a distraction-free space and time for your work to boost productivity. Taking a break from social networking sites can improve your life!
What are your goals for 2015? Feel free to share them with us in the comments below!
Happy New Year!