Creative Translation, Editing, and Non-Fiction Writing
Language is so much more than a way of communicating. Our response to words is based not only on their meaning but on their sound, their rhythm, their flow from one to the next. Beyond the words themselves, there are also cultural, geographical, and historical connotations that run deep and have a profound emotional impact. And for those with a vivid imagination, one word can spawn an entire world.
Embedded within a book or article is the inner life of the author, his hopes and dreams, her target audience, sometimes even a life directive. This is where the translator or editor needs insight, intuition, and imagination as well as intellect, skill, knowledge, and the willingness to work hard to link one world to another and bring it to life.
All this is especially vital for literary translation and editing, but it's at work in all types of writing if you consider such things as pace, style, atmosphere, and standard modes of expression for different fields. When the responses to your book, article, or web content connect with your reader in a life-changing way, even if that's just one small thought or action, then you know that you've hit the mark.
Areas of Interest and/or Expertise
* Spirituality and world religions, especially the Bible (ongoing interest for decades; includes reading of multiple world scriptures, inner teachings, etc.)
* Personal development, self-help (dovetails with spirituality and includes a wide range of things, from strategies for living to metaphysics and multidimensional spiritual development)
* Alternative healing methods
* World cultures
* Breakthrough thinking
* Music (2 degrees in classical singing and opera; extensive additional training)
* Coffee and tea (15 years in the specialty coffee and tea industry)
Who are my clients?
I've worked with a range of people and organizations, including authors, arts journalists, producers, self-publishers, business professionals, translation agencies, healers, life coaches, and students.
Specializing in translation into English. Language pairs:
German to English
French to English
Spanish to English
Italian to English
Some of my qualifications:
* Native US-English speaker with an international background
* Ongoing exposure to multiple languages since childhood, including formal study and translation experience (both paid and unpaid)
* Exceptional literary skills (musicality, drama, voicing, description, emotional evocativeness, intuition, insight, naturalness, flow, pacing)
* Experience with older texts and fonts
All translation work includes research as needed, editing for flow and naturalness, proofreading, and formatting (optional).
Working Categories: Arts, literature, memoir, religion and spirituality, self-help and personal development, travel and tourism, business and marketing documents, historical religious architecture and archaeology, Christian philosophy, personal letters, operatic and classical song lyrics (unpaid)
EDITING (English Only)
My general approach to editing is comprehensive and flexible, since I find that many authors need more than one level of editing. So if your manuscript is in great shape and all you need is a light proofreading, that's what you'll get. Or if you want multiple levels of editing, either simultaneously or separately, that's also no problem.
Services: Developmental editing, substantive (line) editing, copy editing, proofreading, formatting, basic book design and formatting for upload to CreateSpace/KDP Select, comprehensive editing (all of the above, incl. ghostwriting as needed)
Subjects covered so far: Spirituality, metaphysics, self-help, healing, memoir, poetry, personal narrative (coaching), sound healing, business
WRITING (English Only)
Formats so far: Ebooks, articles, blogs, book summaries/study guides, web content
Subject experience: Poets and poetry, writing, sound healing, summaries on a variety of subjects from literature to success
Still have questions? Be happy to chat!