Searcher is a search assistant that manages and searches pre-selected sites in groups and organizes the search results in one tab for easy viewing and navigation (Multi-Site Search). It also provides an easy way to compare phrases (Multi-Input Search).
If you are a translator, foreign-language writer, or language teacher and need to see several dictionaries of different types (English, Korean, English-Korean, synonym dictionaries, etc), it’s a big hassle to open browser tabs for these dictionary sites and search them one by one. You also need to check search engines, machine translators, and example databases. Tabs multiply and soon you lose track of which is which. With Searcher you can put these sites in groups, search all sites in a group with one click, and see their results in one tab, with easy arrow key toggle. This group/site organization can be applied to a lot of different areas, such as image search, where you can put Google Image, Pinterest, Shutter stock, etc, in Image Group and search them with one click. See the demo for more groups.
Multi-Input Search is mostly for language workers such as translators, language teachers/learners, and writers, who often need to compare alternative phrases in terms of frequency and meaning and choose the correct one to use. Searcher provides a convenient interface to Google them and view the results.
- Searcher will access the search sites from user's local IP, not from a central server.
- Searcher does not scrape and modify websites; it shows them as they are.
- Searcher will be built first as an Electron desktop app and later for phones.
Each page of Searcher must provide the core functionalities above; if possible, the noncore functionalities are desirable.
• Core functionalities: link clicks, page search (Ctl + F), page zoom, content switching (https://youtu.be/n2rOM0JnRIU), video playing, right-click context menu, spelling check, auto login
• Noncore functionalities: borrowing books, making a purchase, extensions like Grammarly and adblock
Searcher video demo: https://youtu.be/EFXYKgZNlVY
An app with multi-site search: MemoQ Web Search (https://docs.memoq.com/ggl-tst/Places/memoq-web-search.html)
An app with multi-input search (Engle): http://goengle.com/
- I can only hire companies (including individual as company), not individual developers.
- I can only offer fixed-price contracts.
If you are interested, before asking for a call, please answer the questions below and give me your ball park estimate and delivery time for milestone 1 in the attached file "Searcher milestone 1", which is a small part of the project.
- What are the issues involved, and what is the most challenging part of the app to build? Especially, to implement Searcher's core function of multiple website toggle inside one tab, how will you deal with the headers that block website embedding?
- Will Search as an Electron or QT app support the core and noncore functionalities specified above? If not, which functionalities will not be supported?
- What past project or job have you had that is most like this one? What part of this job are you most experienced in?
- Do you have a Github account, LinkedIn profile, and/or presence in independent review sites like Clutch and Trustpilot? If so, please provide.
- I have a very short deadline to complete the project. How many developers can you assign to this project, and how long do you need to build it completely including bug fixing?
... Show more