Copyediting/proofreading and writing in health care is one of my specialties. Within the last 12 years, I’ve worked on textbooks, physician guides, continuing medical education materials, posters, and peer-reviewed articles for medical professionals, and informational and educational materials for patients. And I've written patient education materials for books, ebooks, providers' brochures and websites, and encyclopedias. I also work with professionals in general education.
My services include …
• Providing developmental editing to make sure of consistent organization, structure, and editorial design, including basic formatting, creating the table of contents, and developing headings and subheadings, if needed
• Performing thorough deep line edits to check spelling, grammar, punctuation, and usage (no medical jargon for patient education materials)
• Double-checking facts where needed (drug brand names vs. generic names, dates, etc.)
• Reviewing all in-text citations and references (for peer-reviewed articles)
• Incorporating any minor revisions you make following the initial editing at no extra cost (The job's not over until you are satisfied.)
• Overall editorial advice and guidance, if needed
Among the editing tools I use are AMA Manual of Style, 10th edition; Stedman's Medical/Pharmaceutical Spellchecker, custom dictionary software; and Merriam-Webster's Medical Desk Dictionary.
I have a BA in linguistics from the University of Minnesota. In addition, I have completed the following continuing education courses through the American Medical Writers Association:
• Basic Grammar and Usage for Biomedical Communicators
• Writing and Designing Materials for Patient Education
• Basic Anatomy and Physiology
• Plain-Language Usage
I am a member of the National Council of Teachers of English, the Oregon Council of Teachers of English, and the Editorial Fre