I've been a Unix/Linux systems administrator for the last 7+ years and have always looked for extra projects to pick up at work. I'm now going independent to do what I enjoy.
My favorite project has been my ongoing improvements to Quest Software's Big Brother monitoring tool.
Time Spent: 3 months
Technology: Big Brother, PostNuke, PHP, MySQL, gnuplot
Description: Big Brother is a good inexpensive sytems monitoring tool. However, there were a number of features lacking. I created a suite of programs wrapped around Big Brother which provided:
- Historical metrics stored in MySQL
- Through the web graphing of metrics (PHP,gnuplot)
- Tree based error view (PHP)
- System downtime scheduling program (PHP,PostNuke)
- System downtime reporting tool (PHP,PostNuke,MySQL)
- System capacity reporting tool (PHP,PostNuke,Mysql)
- SysInfo tool to record system information using a custom built templating system including reference fields to bind objects together
1 Review For This Service