As you prepare to hire a new Java developer for your project, there are several critical steps you have to take. One of these steps is to develop the right Java developer interview questions.
Secondly, you have to create the best Java developer job description. Fortunately, you can find a free template for this express purpose online. This article provides you with ideas on what to include in your Java developer job description template.
Java Developer Responsibilities
First, you’ll need to keep in mind the key responsibilities of a java developer, so you can make sure that you’re assigning them the right type of work, along with knowing what to expect once you’ve made your hiring decision. Here are the most important Java Developer responsibilities:
- Designing and developing high-volume, less-dormant apps for mission-critical systems
- Implementing and maintaining Java apps that are mission-critical
- Taking part in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Writing well-designed, testable, and efficient code
- Conducting software analysis, programming, testing, and debugging
- Managing Java and Java EE application development
- Ensuring designs adhere to specifications
- Preparing and producing releases of software components
Java Developer Job Brief
When creating your Java developer job brief, make sure that its content specifically targets Java developers for hire and considers the average Java contractor hourly rate. Be sure to describe the level of experience and skills in Java development you want. For instance, make it clear that you are looking for someone with five years of experience developing high-performance, scalable, enterprise-grade apps.
Also, let the interested applicants understand that they will be part of a busy work environment with a team of talented developers who work on mission-critical apps. They will become part of the program architecture and key project stakeholders. Therefore, they must understand the overall vision for the project and the skills needed.
Make it clear to the applicants that they will be required to gather requirements from the involved stakeholders in the project’s planning, including working closely with the main stakeholder, project managers, senior Java developers, and other junior Java developers. The discussions with these individuals mainly revolve around prioritizing more critical tasks and determining the project’s overall scope.
The development phase involves writing the code and ultimately creating a complete program. You can complete various steps in the development phase in code sections referred to as features, allowing the developer to test and amend the project as necessary. Make it clear to the applicants that you expect them to test each component and debug it upon completion.
Your Java developer job description also needs to describe the deployment phase, which involves transferring code to a live environment. The code must be fully functional before deployment since modifications can only occur in the testing environment. The developer must be well-versed in one or several of the following skills to complete the deployment phase:
- Java Servlet Technology
- XML, Xquery, XSL
- Java-based Web services
- Linux/Unix Windows Platform and Solaris
- Oracle database SQL and JDBC
- Java XML Parsing, Coding
- Perl and Python
Finally, you must include the system maintenance and optimization phase in your job description. Java developers are supposed to maintain active systems and identify opportunities for improvement. Maintenance work includes:
- Updating software
- Meeting all hardware specs
- Adding new features
- Preparing end-user documentation and training
- Identifying bugs and optimizing the code
Java Job Requirements
Beyond the responsibilities and skills listed above, you should also include that any potential candidate who applies for the position have at least a few of the following degrees or hands-on experience:
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field
- Proven experience in Java development
- Hands-on software development experience
- Object-oriented analysis and design with common design patterns
- An understanding of Java and JEE internals (Classloading, Memory Management, Transaction management, etc.)
- Vast knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL, and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate)
- Knowledge of developing web apps using any of the standard web frameworks (JSF, Wicket, GWT, Spring MVC)
Currently, the average annual pay for a Java developer in the US is $105,801. And if you want to hire a freelance Java developer at an hourly rate, the current Java contractor hourly rate is $50.87, equivalent to $2,035 per week or $8,817 per month.
So, even though there are ready-made job description templates for your Java developer job description, you have to create roles, responsibilities, and requirements that align with the precise position you want to fill. Take time to prioritize your needs, and you will find the perfect candidate for your project’s success.