Writing a freelance job advertisement might feel tedious – but there are some fantastic resources out there that can help you instantly up your recruitment game!
Sample job posting ads are a brilliant way to get a feel for what works and what doesn’t.
If you’re new to working with freelancers, it’s well worth taking the time to look at sample postings to make sure your ads speak to the level of professionalism you want.
Here we’ll explain the value of sample ads and why they’re your best assets in the recruitment arena.
The Value of Sample Job Ads
Let’s rewind a little and contextualize why it’s so crucial to get your freelance job posting on point.
- Freelance platforms have tens of thousands of posts at any one time – you want to be slick, enticing, and professional to get noticed!
- Great candidates look for great ads, simple. Use your ad space to showcase why you’re offering an excellent career opportunity, and you’ll get better quality applicants.
- Hiring a contractor isn’t the time to wing it. Sample ads are an easy way to see what feels clunky, what matches your business values, and which ad titles draw your attention.
Tone and content make such a difference.
If you’re after the best freelancer for the job, you need to use emotion, excitement, engagement, and energy to draw them to your vacancy.
Sample posts are free and are one of the best resources out there to help you fine-tune your own job ads, so make use of them!
How to Speak Your Freelancer’s Language (Even If You Don’t!)
We’re not all tech pros.
We don’t all know SEO terminology.
And chances are you’re hiring a freelancer to outsource a job that either you don’t have the time to do yourself or it’s a job that requires skills you don’t have.
It’s not a bad thing to admit to an area where you’re not knowledgeable – but likewise, you don’t want to put a job ad out into the world that’s not quite right.
Trying to use buzzwords you don’t actually understand or dotting your post with meaningless content is a big turn-off.
Sticking with a tech talent job ad as an example, you don’t need to study the jargon to put together an eloquent ad.
Instead, you can use sample postings to get great ideas about constructing a job description that every applicant will understand.
Sample postings help you identify the tools, frameworks, and languages a tech professional needs to know about for the role – and ensures you don’t miss out on amazing talent because of a bad posting.
Using Sample Job Postings as a Checklist
We get it; you’re insanely busy, need another pair of hands, and want to get your job posting out into the world, well, yesterday.
It’s normal to be pressed for time, but if you miss out on anything vital in your job posting, it will multiply the hours you’re going to spend answering questions and rejecting unsuitable candidates.
Sample job ads are an excellent way to refine your tone, identify the correct language, and make sure you don’t miss any details.
Here’s a quick and easy recipe on how to use a sample posting to craft your perfect ad:
- Find a sample ad you like. It doesn’t have to be in the same sector or for the same role, just something you feel has the right style for your brand.
- Go over the basics (job title, pay rates, start dates, qualification requirements) and swap them out for your info.
- Have a look at the emotion of the ad, and switch it up accordingly – you can copy language that you feel is a great fit, but make sure it’s tailored to your business ethos and the aims of the role.
- Change the contact information to yours, ensuring you stipulate any requirements, like emailing an application or including a cover letter.
As you go, highlight each bit you have reworked (or are happy with as-is), that way you won’t forget, or accidentally pass by any of the obvious points.
When the ad is 100% highlighted, you’ve amended everything you need to and won’t have to spend the next week answering calls about the job spec.
And just like that, you end up with a beautifully written job ad in a style you like, that’s now perfectly tailored to the role you need to fill.
Guru’s Post a Job form gives you a clear template to post your job description and privately connect with quality candidates within hours.